PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Mechanical Rescue Devices
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2008, 16:14
Ship Manager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RW&B, I can’t shed light on the wonders of the decision making processes within oil companies – oh that I could !
Why are you considering short sea shuttling only, are those flying further not worthy of mechanical recovery as well ?
Regarding shorter hops ie the southern North Sea and the Irish Sea then 5m seas are not really the problem. Shallow water, wind, and tide make for steep waves at very short periods. By the time you get to about 3 – 3.5m you don’t want to be putting your boats down. Operation of the Dacon Scoop is quite tenable in those conditions though.
Yes, Dacons have been tested in 5m seas – there are some good videos – nothing on youtube though ! Crews exercise regularly with them and have to complete an independently adjudicated validation trial on an annual basis.
I don’t know how many people have been saved, or injured, by scoops but they do “secure a good prospect of recovery and rescue” (PFEER Regs) beyond the point that FRCs can operate.

Micraman, yes, night time exercises are undertaken.

nbl – I worked on a ferry where we cancelled the freight and only took the passengers!

Check - Agree the window for use for scoops between cessation of FRC ops and just holding on for dear life is not great.

Droopystop – I suppose there is a subtle difference in that if you are on a platform and have to abandon you have no option, however if flying you do not have to put yourself in to a potential situation.

What do I think of scoops - They work and if you have them you may as well use them.

SM