PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2008, 12:09
cac_sabre

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lae 1979 - 1982

Hi all,

this is my first read of this thread, it brings back many memories of my time as an ATC in Nadzab and at Lae. Were any of the readers taxiing for departure off RWY 14 early one morning when a colourful Lae identity ditched his Baron on about a 1 mile final RWY 32? Is the Pacific Helicopter pilot that sprinted a mile to his chopper to conduct the rescue on line? What about the Talair Twotter pilot that took the grass, passing the line up of aircraft on the taxiway waiting for departure, then entered the runway sped down to the chopper apron, took the grass again and abandoned his startled pax to jump in the chopper and help with the rescue net? What about the COAIR pilot of Baron P2COE (Bronte Zadow?) that orbited the survivors and vectored the chopper to them.

Read a thread about PNG DC3 performances, I recall a Defence Force DC3 flying back and forth Lae to Finch to climb to max ceiling, I think he actually made it to FL240!

I remember the aforementioned colourful identity flying Porter SEA at dot feet up the main drag (no not the runway... the main access road!) of Nadzab airport and climbing! to fly close by the tower, waving at us dressed in a cargo boys uniform! We had a check controller up there that day.... we had to fizz him (225)!

Anyone remember COE throwing a prop blade on takeoff roll chopping the nose compartment and littering the runway with SP cans... many survived I remember wiping hydraulic fluid off one at the COAIR christmas party... I guess the beer was an insurance write off...