PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2008, 10:36
Front Pit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am waiting for Prospector to claim that this is invalid because it is "I was only following orders" Nuremburg defence.
Desert Dingo

Why were there no pages left in Captain Collins’ otherwise undamaged ring-binder notebook?
Found this very interesting item in an article written in 1984 by Maurice Shadbolt. "After the Royal Commission was over, Sergeant Greg Gilpin, a member of the police search team in Antarctica, but who was never called as a witness, watched a TV documentary of the inquiries. The camera closed in on Judge Mahon as he examined Captain Collins's empty ringbinder notebook. "I was puzzled", says Gilpin. "It looked just like the notebook I saw at the crash site, where it was handed to me by a colleague. On the cover was Collins's name. All the pages in it were intact and the first few full of technical writing that appeared to be flight data. My colleague and I considered it an important find, so I placed it carefully in a plastic bag and left it with other articles at the campsite." Why then was Collins's widow given only the cover of the notebook? Why was she told that the inner pages were damaged? Would these pages have helped to make it clear how Collins was misled and why 257 people died? These questions will still be asked, though the full answers will never be known"

How very very interesting.........no cover up huh??!