PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2008, 09:51
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Phil Kaye is correct. The one back on is not Shags Miles - he was in POM at that time. Besides, whoever it is his socks are up so it can't be Shags. I still suspect it was Wally.

The piston Porter came from the Catholic Mission, Wewak, exchanged for an overhauled C206 engine. Chewed up the two spare Queenair engines due to overheating. Junior had the idea to convert it to a PT6 - until he found out what it would cost!

Max Cowboy Boots never flew the C188 P2-SET, only the C185 P2-SEP with Sorrensen spray pack. We had an old ag guy, brilliant pilot, WWII Pathfinder Squadron Mosquito pilot, whose name I forget now, used to get vertigo and a nose bleed above 200 feet AGL!

P2-SET eventually came to grief at Roger's (??) airstrip near Galley Reach, west of POM.

I recall another incident with a new, ex factory Islander wing destined for a pranged Islander at Garaina I think. Came from the UK to Sydney on a QF 742 Combi, then to POM in a Combi, then under a helicopter from POM to Garaina (think Mal Smith was the pilot?) until, within sight of the strip, the wing "took off" under the chopper and the pilot had to release it. Last seen it was still sitting in the trees a few miles outside Garaina.