PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2008, 03:25
prospector

Desert Dingo,
The Mr Bob Thomson who you have brought into the debate also wrote in his "History of New Zealand Antarctic Research Program 1965-88".

"Air New Zealand and NZALPA went to some lengths to ensure that their senior pilots and members were seen as professionals who knew it all and did not therefor need to seek advice from elsewhere, such as the RNZAF, USAF USN, or the Division.

"Nor did Air New Zealand take advantage of the experience gained by the members of their aircrews who flew on earlier flights. Apparently the NZALPA saw the Antarctic flights as a special perk for their members and had an agreement with Air New Zealand that flight crews should be spread widely amongst its members.

Therefore aircrews, including aircraft captains, usually had not any previous experience on these flights, an experience which would have avoided the Erebus Disaster from ever happening"

It is interesting that you bring in Bob Thomson, he is not qualified aircrew, but has apparently over 75 trips to the Antarctic, at least 50 approaching from the North. He was in fact scheduled for the subject flight but had to change his plans. When asked that but for twist of fate he would have been on the fatal flight his reply was "Not at all, I always insisted on a complete circuit of Ross Island before letting down below 17000ft. That way I could get an idea of the complete situation and what the weather was like.

He also stated that "The Captain didn't give attention to problems he might have around there. These people were taking a Sunday drive. When I heard the transcript of the CVR I fell out of my chair."

"I always had a chart in the cockpit and checked the lat and long readout, but the crew of the fatal flight never referred to it"

"Your statement of oral briefing is a bit like oral history, gets changed in the telling. Not like the laid down mandatory requirements from CAA, that were written instructions and it is a known fact that the crew had access to them.

I would also like to add that your faith in the infallability of Justice Mahon is quite touching, if misplaced.