PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rear facing seats...
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2008, 22:09
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, all very interesting...

I was however not thinking of sets of fwd/rear table in the middle like our trains (though an idea) but all rear-facing and a re-stressing wouldn't be a weighty proposition - people weigh the same, they have to be stopped at up to 9g (from memory) and they're not sitting any higher -

and if a few pounds a seat was required, then as with all other safety requirements, it would just have to be factored in!

Luggage hitting you in the face...? Mmm! With all-rear facing seats, perhaps somewhat overstated? If we're talking overhead lockers bursting open, then a few pounds there as well, and better lock design too, with unlatched tell-tales lights. They're also supposed to handle 9g fully loaded - or were.

So we come to the crunch. Hanging on your straps during climb out - I think this may be the passenger acceptance criterion, the feather that broke the camel's back so to speak. IUpon reflection, it is rather nice to be leaning back against the seat during the initial climbout...

but what a compromise if/when things go a bit wrong during landing.

Inertia reel shoulder seat belts anyone - for the approach and landing? With lap straps for in-flight security.

But still seems to me that laps straps and fwd facing seats is a heavy compromise and a pretty dreadful arrangement for anyone of any real age in a heavy crash.

I think that the cost is the big factor. For airlines to make such a change would require legislation.
Yes, from what you have all said, seems only legislation would bring this about. The cost of change - but not from 'as new' though, surely...marginal difference I would imagine.

But the first to do so might have to face accusations that they weren't very confident about their aircraft, in one way or another... peer pressure, which of course should never come into safety, but obviously does at the PR level.

I just marvel at the billions spent in other areas of aircraft safety design...

Last edited by HarryMann; 28th Jan 2008 at 22:36.