PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standard Weights for Baggage
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2008, 20:14
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weights

I dont know if your concern is paperwork accuracy or flight safety concern.
xxx
No matter what "airline standard loads" and "baggage loads" are, while my F/O put kgs and grams together on the paperwork, and crosses the Ts and puts dots on the Is... I make a mental computation, extremely simple...
xxx
Every passenger that travels aboard accounts for 100 kg increase in payload. That is the passenger AND baggage. If I have 363 passengers, my payload is (taking an advanced computer) 36,300 kg.
xxx
A few minutes later, the F/O will make me sign a paper, probably showing some 35,000 or 37,000 kg payload... I do not think the plane, at least my 747 knows the difference, unless of course you fly a HP Jetstream.
xxx
As far as pitch trim setting, same thing happens. With a standard passenger 747, knowing a takeoff weight, I know where the trim setting is. If the takeoff weight is 325,000 kg, the pitch trim is probably 6.5 units. (I just multiply 3.25 x 2, to get 6.5 units). My F/O will take 5 minutes to get a number, possibly 6.8 units... I swear to you, 6.5 or 6.8 feels the same on takeoff. And my eyes cannot see the difference on the trim indicator.
xxx
The only time I do long-hand computations is when mother-in-law is aboard... she weighs 200 kgs.
xxx
Of course, for nerds+geeks of the XXIst century, complicating things brings accuracy...
Takes a lot of thawing for these ATPLs just out of the deep-freezer.
xxx

Happy contrails