PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frequently Asked Questions - PPL licencing, renewals, logging hours etc.
Old 28th Jan 2008, 13:56
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frequently Asked Questions - PPL licencing, renewals, logging hours etc.

I've seen a bunch of recent threads on PPL licenses, class ratings, renewals, logging hours and all that stuff that people should be able to find in JAR-FCL or LASORS, but apparently can't.

(Insert mild frustration here...)

Anyway, I have some spare time on my hands and are willing to write a FAQ on this subject, ask BRL to make it into a sticky and prevent the same questions to be asked again over and over.

I plan to include references to the appropriate JAR-FCL article and LASORS section with each answer, and where appropriate, a link to where on PPRuNe the question was debated (P1 on a checkflight anyone?)

I have a few questions (with answers) in mind which need to be part of the FAQ but I'm very happy to let others contribute more. So if you have a question that you think should be in a FAQ on this subject, and/or have the answer, and/or have the reference to JAR-FCL, LASORS or PPRuNe, please post them here.

When time comes, I will start another thread which will become the FAQ but since that one will probably live for a long time, I don't think it will be appropriate to have any discussion, witty one-liners, half-complete responses etc. there.

Here's my preliminary list of questions:

1. What are the license requirements to be issued a JAR-FCL PPL(A)?
2. Can I do parts, or all of the course in a foreign country, JAA or otherwise?
3. What are the license privileges of a "private" pilots license? To what extent can I get paid or reimbursed for my flying?
4. What airplanes can I fly on my PPL? (AKA what's this class/type rating thing?)
5. What do I need to do to keep my license current and valid? What do I do if I let some parts of my license (in the broadest sense) lapse?
6. Can I fly a foreign aircraft on my JAA PPL?
7. I'm having a flight lesson/checkflight/private flight/flight exam/ride as a passenger in an aircraft for which I am/am not licensed. How do I log this properly?
8. Can I log P2 time in an XXX if I acted as co-pilot on the flight, handling the radios and navigation?

Anyone wanting to contribute questions, answers, references etc. please post them here. Or post a link to a PPRuNe thread where info can be found.