PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 28th Jan 2008, 13:34
OVERTALK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing the (any?) POINT here

Chris Scott
So you're saying that UNCTUOUS could read the GE AD's message (below) and yet still assume that the PS3 and P3B sense lines were fuel lines that incorporated weep holes that would release water but not fuel. Methinks you are stretching credibility more than a mite.

From the GE AD:

"Both Ps3 and P3B pressure systems incorporate weep holes that allows drainage of water in the lines that may accumulate from condensation or ingested water; however, the field events and the investigation have determined that these design features may not always be effective in eliminating water from these systems."

"GE is assessing design changes that will prevent water from freezing in these systems and causing corruption of the signals to the FADEC."

I've followed UNCTUOUS posts throughout the threads and the message that I got was simply that there is a proven capacity for the FADEC's signals to be corrupted by ice and or waxed fuel in the Fadec/EEC sensing. His #79 description of the freezing/waxing process for why and how that would happen when it did seems very credible to me.

as UNCTUOUS says in his #79
"the FADEC's reference ports (i.e. the small diameter lines of those bootstrap labyrinths that, together with various air pressure pick-offs, establish the FADEC's reference datums)....."

Obviously he's talking about what he later (#154) describes in his functional description as: <<<The FADEC's electronic control unit receives that Wf signal and in response thereto adjusts the bypass valve until the measured fuel flow (i.e. output) equals a predetermined desired fuel flow (wfm) stored in the electronic control unit.>>>

So I for one, don't see your diatribe as contributing anything to the discussion of the probabilities for BA038's very worrying simultaneous LOTC. But UNCTUOUS does seem to have his eye on the ball, notwithstanding that his expression sometimes lacks clarity. To make sure that I had a handle on his points I went back and re-read. If you don't agree with the physics of waxing and it being able to pass through filters yet still corrupt Fadecs, then point out why.