PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female ex-PPL hoping to get back in the skies
Old 28th Jan 2008, 11:22
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FullyFlapped,

No, that's my jokey way of talking to a mate when we have something to sort out! And it bears no realtion to anything I was talking about - have you actually been reading anything I've written? I believe in calling a spade a spade, and if I have to share a room/tent with a man, making it clear that we're sharing a room but not a bed, if that's the case. It makes life easier for all concerned. But like I said, it's so much easier to travel with someone of the same gender so that it doesn't come up - and yes, I have Lesbian friends, but it never comes up, since in this world you're assumed heterosexual till proved otherwise.

Now you can get your coat.

BEagle,

Men giving up seats for women etc etc. Never understood it, never will. But it's hardly a big deal, unless it's insisted upon or done in an impolite fashion ( You WILL let me walk on the outside, and I'll shove you uncomfortably to the other side every time we turn a corner to prove to you that I'm a REAL gentleman. Been done, honest ) If you want to do that sort of thing, feel free, doesn't bother me one way or the other. Simply a strange old-fashioned British custom, but harmless, IMHO. But anybody giving up a seat to someone who needs it more is a good thing, as is any kind of politeness and consideration. I can't see that applies to women unless they're very old or pregnant or ill...but you know what you were talking about, even if I don't.

However, please don't always blame the yoof of today. A friend of mine, in her 60s, was knocked off her bike by an elderly man who wasn't looking where he was going. She was quite badly hurt. He just walked off, and no-one stopped him. If it had been a young person, can you imagine the outcry?