PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britain urged to love a man in uniform again
Old 27th Jan 2008, 22:54
Fast but Safe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roland (and all who agree with him), can I suggest you take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

The Security Service MI5 have recently told the public through open documents and briefings that they are 'overstretched' (unlike the Armed Forces who are only 'stretched'), and can not carry out the necessary surveillance on known Muslim extremists in this country. By the way, we are not talking about 40 or 50 individuals, the number is in the THOUSANDS.

So in the light of what I have just said, and the fact a plot to kidnap and kill a British serviceman has already been foiled, I have a question for you.

If, God forbid, someone was compromised because they were wearing uniform in the street. Would you be happy to stand in front of a funeral service and tell everyone 'I want all service personnel to carry on being seen in uniform in public as much as possible' ? Or are you happy to keep your standpoint until something does happen and then re-asses. Because I for one would rather air on the side of caution.

We're not playing about here guys. This is not just a case of PR or doing 'the right thing'. I'd rather be anonymous any day than have my address noted and sent off somewhere nasty.

FbS.