PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Letter from AIPA to Jet* Pilots
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2008, 21:57
genex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chimbu has encased it all in a nutshell. Read it a second time. Everyone wants JQ pilots to make the world better for all of us.

Keg, in his inimitable well-meaning way has shown some of the key the logic underpinning AIPA thinking. Let's all have more pay....let our "hard working" S/O s have some of those choice JQ slots (I'd work hard too for 150 k and no actual responsibility) and lets limit JQ growth then....(this bit is implicit) fold it back into QF mainline.

Problem is....JQ is a different business. Much more rapid growth....no Heritage fleet units (744, 743, 767, 737) and no "we've always done it like this". Maybe this is what it felt like in the British Army 100 years ago when the Colonel Blimps were desperate to ensure that those bright scarlet jackets and horse cavalry would always stay. But THE WORLD HAS CHANGED. It change for them, it has changed for us. There are jet jobs for everyone. That is unprecedented and wonderful. And for Qantas S/Os too timid to jump and build a decent future....stay with the Heritage fleet. Based on past practice QF will operate the 747 for another 30 years so you'll get the career you wanted.

Anyway....to get empirical....if there are 2500 QF Heritage drivers and there are say (I have no idea as I don't fly for them) 500 JQ drivers. Then if the Heritage drivers all committed to a $2000 a month levy that would give each JQ pilot $10,000 a month strike pay if they go out to ensure that the Heritage drivers lifestyles are supported in perpetuity. Cathay drivers could kick in.

If I get a 320 job with JQ (have no interest in that but let's pretend) then I personally will join any strike where the Heritage pilots put their money where their mouth is and support my lfe the way they would want me to support theirs.

Fair enough? Read what Chimbu said again.

And the "foldback" option is a green light for VB, Tiger et al.....to really go to town.