PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2008, 14:03
Ivor_Novello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will add one thing which may help though. Our CDM said to us that as we were mobile grades an could be sent anywhere (you have to sign a bit of paper saying so) the best tactic regarding posting is to think of the worst possible place you could be sent and be prepared to go there. Not saying that's where you'll be but if you're ready for the worst, you can only be pleasantly surprised.
Unfortunately that is the catch of an otherwise interesting deal of free training (and a wage) and a secure well paid profession at the end of the training (if you pass).
Imagine the queue if the same route was introduced to pilot jobs...

I must confess that one of the main factors that were holding me back frrom applying was not being able to choose where you work, but unfortunately that's the way NATS do it.
If there's a shortage of skills and ATCOs that's also one of the reasons.
I don't mind the initial low salary, but I am "worried" about where I could end up posted. After all once you unplug the headset you got to live somewhere and if it's somewhere you don't want to be, it can be hard.
I am sure there's a lot of people with skills who are put off from applying because of having no control whatsoever over where you'll end up living and working for the rest of your career.....

regards

Ivor