PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS - 4
Thread: LEEDS - 4
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2008, 11:46
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Call It Teesside

Hi inglebyboro,

thanks for your response. This is what I wanted; a debate. You are obviously passionate about your local aerodrome, which is to be admired. My statements are one sided since I have given reasons why I think LBA is the most suitable and has the most potential to be succesful for Ryanair.

The region I am talking about is for between newcastle in the north to just south of sheffield in the south and the whole of east yorkshire (hull etc) and north lincolnshire in the east to huddersfield in the west. So durham tv is much closer to the north of this area, you will accept. I was not comparing durham airport's catchment to newcastle's but with leeds' catchment.

Yes only one low cost carrier has pulled out because very few have tried to make it work there. I might have been a surprise to you but it wasn't to the moneymen. I also know that both ryanair and flyglobespan have axed routes that have failed from the airport.

The reason why jet2 and easy charge more is because there is greater demand this is why bmibaby pulled out: fairs were reduced and still the planes could not be filled with passengers.

My comment about the 2 hour catchment of the LBA is fact so you better keep laughing mate. I admit it is not a well known fact amongst the aviation world but it is fact nevertheless. Hopefully someone will be able to back up my words from the relevant stats document. Think about it birmingham, leicester, nottingham, sheffield, liverpool, manchester, hull, newcastle, middlesboro plus all the other large towns in the north and north midlands. Oh yes I almost forgot leeds! So yes I do know my geography.

The weather is often poor at LBA (not least the last few days) and I am sure this would be considered by any airline considering where to base. With the advancement in technology and landing aides and money to be spent on this at LBA the proportion of diverted aircraft will continue to fall, which it has during recent years.

Thankyou for the reply though. We all want to see our local airports thrive.

Leeds App.