PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female ex-PPL hoping to get back in the skies
Old 27th Jan 2008, 10:01
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most men I meet in flying treat me as a person who flies. That's all I ask.
Why do you feel you need to ask it? Some people are pillocks, some people are arrogant, some people are patronizing. It has nothing to do with the sex of the person whom they are addressing so I don't think that's relevant either - they're probably like that all the time!!!

Everyone (male or female, gay or straight, black, white, Irish, Methodist, lawyers, etc) I have met in aviation has treated me with respect and equality. Everyone. Of course, I'm not including someone who responds to a post on Pprune as "met".

DP, I don't see this as a matter of Political Correctness; gee, I'm one of the most un PC people going but a matter of relevance. It just wouldn't occur to me to mention it - some people may work it out from the way I write and what I write about. I do get addressed as a "bloke" on Pprune. Doesn't bother me in the slightest; water off a duck's back.

As for the original poster; I most certainly didn't interpret her post as meaning she was after male companionship (neither did I interpret it to mean she specifically wanted female companionship either!) but as demonstrating an insecurity, possibly lacking in confidence and therefore trying to use her sex as an explanation for how she felt. To me, that shows stereotyping as well.

Trouble is, not all women think in the same way; for example, much as Whirly and I are good friends , we each have quite different views about women in aviation which both stem from out personal experiences and outlook.

Some women would mention that they are female; others wouldn't. That's the trouble with individuals We don't know whether the OP has inundated with PMs, has gone off in a sulk or is killing herself laughing at some of the reactions.

Cheers

Whirls