PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 27th Jan 2008, 09:22
Chambudzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cwatters
Please read 117 on page 6'
I was out of Singapore that night at 10600 mtrs across Russia. EICAS complained at -37 C fuel temp. Crossing into Germany we decended to FL340 with a TAT of -37 C. Fuel temp continued to drop. At - 40 C I decended to FL300 and temp carried on down to -41 despite a TAT of - 34. Then decided it was time to stop messing about and I decended to FL250 for the last hour in the cruise to LHR. Fuel began to warm up slowly at FL250.
All other flights in our vicinity from the Far East were decending that morniong at 0400Z for the same reason.
The 777 would have been on a more northely Flight Plan out of Shanghai and would have been in the cold air mass longer than us.
Undoubtably he would have had to decend with low fuel temps as well but if the temp guage/system was malfunctioning he may not have had a "low Fuel temp" EICAS msg.
All speculation of course but the cold air mass that morning was giving everyone problems