PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female ex-PPL hoping to get back in the skies
Old 27th Jan 2008, 08:54
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would I mention my gender, age etc in such a situation? Acceptable PC-ness (is there such a word) says 'No'. Experience, sadly, says yes. While I was a low hours PPL, I found that I preferred flying with other women, because the men tended to try to take over, or at least try to prove that they knew more than me...shared flying, or shared anything, seemed to be something they found hard. And the sexual innuendo etc was always there, or assumed by others, which doesn't help if you're a nervous and/or out of practice pilot who just wants to fly. As for age, I encountered ageism rather similarly, usually young men trying to lord it over me because they'd decided in advance I was an old fart who couldn't know anything.

Now, so that I can come out from behind the parapet, let me emphasise a couple of things. It's NOT universal. And it happens far less with experienced pilots, who've grown up, in that sense. And once you go commercial, it seems to vanish almost completely. And since I became an instructor of course...well, I guess no-one would dare!

I'm not trying to knock anyone, and I daresay my experience isn't universal. However, I do know, from talking to other women in aviation, that it's quite common. And yes, before anyone says it, maybe if we had thicker skins, behaved differently, gave as good as we got, etc etc, it wouldn't happen or wouldn't matter. But most low hours pilots have enough to concentrate on with the flying, without all that stuff.

So, seriously, if I was in Albinoni's position I'd come right out and say that I'd rather fly with a slightly older female pilot. Because it would be the case. Possibly unfortunate, but true.

Now why don't you leave her alone to find someone to fly with.