PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2008, 08:41
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take tonight

Melbourne Tower is in 'enforced' tactical spacing due lack of controllers, positions on combine where they would otherwise be separated (sic), Canberra TMA was closed for 30 minutes (Yes the national Capital, sic) due to non availability of staff.

The cards are all stacking up; Dubai, Canada, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Ireland, Canada, Switzerland, Germany, New Zealand are all currently looking to 'attract' rated and experienced controllers; because of the 'immediate crisis'. God knows what would happen if the USA "relaxed" or helped (by sponsoring citizenship) to get around their citizenship restriction; rumours of 1000+ short.

The global supply/demand ratio is starting to take hold; if ASA comes with another stupid inept offer (who believes they will do anything else) then the motivation to "stay in there a little longer" is going to wane.

My read is people have now exhausted their personal motivations to do extra for a "money hungry mob" that refuse to listen to their staff; see each extra step towards combined sectors, splitting rosters down SDE lines, removing support roles (TFDC/AUSFIC) increase the demotivating effects. People everywhere will always be motivated by money, but I see people getting too tired to care anymore; particularly when forethought did foresee the trouble we are in (but was ignored due to political convenience); and we all know it's only going to get worse.

36 'official' shortages (22 line controllers + 14 others controller only jobs), coupled with 85 or so non-operational 'vacancies' to boot (pesky things like Mat-leave, LWOP, LSL, Sick Leave, LOEQ, etc.). Add in the 10-30 (depending on who you ask) people seriously looking for greener/sandier/whiter grass and it's a house of cards about to come tumbling in.

I heard today that 3 people left last week; I know of another who has a job elsewhere (and will give notice soon) and personally know 6 people just waiting to pull up stumps when their offers elsewhere are formalised.

Kaboom, get out while you can