PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR Harmonisation
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2008, 07:04
[email protected]

Received 634 Likes on 276 Posts
Droopy - I agree that it will come down to the contract - the tender document was, as I understand it, constructed by the MCA with assistance from the MoD in the shape of the SARH IPT. The fact that constraints were placed on the content of that tender will have shaped the bids and flawed the process from the start.

A fundamental problem throughout has been the reluctance of the Home Office and the Cabinet Office to have anything to do with the process, despite the fact that the outcome has huge implications regarding emergency services and homeland defence/security. There isn't enough left in the military pot to do the latter once you disable military SAR and such elements are not included in the SARH bids. It's your country - you decide what you think is best.

I have not said that Bristows or CHC could not run an efficient SAR operation - they have already proved that they can - we will see if civilianising our engineering (SKIOS 2) this year improves our present serviceability and demonstrates Westlands ability to deliver.