PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF SOs now operating as Flight Attendants
Old 26th Jan 2008, 22:29
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I would much rather have a S/O on the flight deck when a heavyweight RTO occurs out of LAX (to monitor correct actions like speed brake up, full reverse, braking etc)
I have two questions!

1. How often do Qantas have an RTO? I mean a 'full on' V1-20 knots or less, not one where you realise that something is not quite right prior to 80 knots!

I have been invloved in two RTO's in my lifetime, one as a passenger and one as operating crew, on both occasions the problem was recognised very early in the take off roll and the aircraft were pulled up with minimum braking.

2. Secondly what is the PNF (or whatever it is called at QF) doing while all this is going on? Surely it is their responsibilty to monitor braking, reverse, speed brakes, etc...

While I agree that an extra set of eyes will always be an asset, it is important to remember that these aircraft are designed to be flown with two pilots!

My personal opinion is that it would be both safe and fall within the area of expertise and responsibilty of the S/O, however I do agree the situation is probably not 'ideal' or 'right' from a human resources perspective, which probably brings up the question, in the event of an evacuation initiated by cabin crew (as in the recent BA example), who would be in control/command of the cabin? CSM, or S/O?