PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Late Landing Clearances
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:39
fire wall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With major European, Asian and North American airports adopting a policy on late landing clearances (or very late as in the Nth american case) with a view to increasing flow rate it has certainly muddied the waters. Personally, I am of the opinion that there are 2 scenario's. First being a late ldg clearance following a departing a/c still on the takeoff roll, the second following an a/c just landed and yet to vacate the runway.

For the first case I use the CAT 1 minima as my decision point as I feel it allows me adequate time to assess how far into the t/o roll the preceding a/c is and , if I decide to g/round, gives me some area to manouvre if the departing a/c does something foolish or unexpected as the missed approach and the departure track for the said runway are normally coincident. Into this decision you can factor cloud base/visibility/etc with a view to keeping the preceding a/c in view if in the event you decide to push the thrust levers up and get out of there.

Second case I use the 50 ft rad alt call and assess the posn of the previous ldg a/c.... ie he would need to be into the high speed taxiway for me to land if already given a clearance to do so.

Keep in mind that all a/ports I operate into have a policy on late ldg clearances under certain vis conditions. Minima that I use could be adjusted for a/c type. Mine may be viewed by some as somewhat high but I fly the 74 classic and she takes a bit of steam to get up and going....and I couldn't be bothered being rushed.

Hope this helps.