PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 26th Jan 2008, 16:16
gonebutnotforgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re The Mechanics of Waxing in Super-Cold Fuel

Unctuous - Sounds plausible to me as a non fuel chemist, knowing nothing of these globules. Can you just enlighten me further:

1. Would this imply something wrong, or out of spec, with the uplifted fuel?
2. If not, how common is this, or how close have we been before?

While the fuel at TOD will be cold (not necessarily the coldest in flight, depends where these very low temperatures were observed), the reduced thermal capacity of the remaining fuel means it does warm significantly by the start of approach (not only in the case of low level holding, though that will increase the time spent at less cold levels, and hence the amount the fuel warms). Previous posts, not yours, seem to have confused fuel well below freezing point of water (which is normal and common) with fuel so cold it starts to wax etc. In my time in BA, we were all aware of the limitations on 'freeze point' and observed them.

I am not aware that asking for GA power in any way alters the fuel system, by bringing in some bypass, other than just demanding a lot of it (your point j).