PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL with Coprolalia , Need help!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2008, 09:21
Cessna Master Beta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool CPL with Coprolalia , Need help!!

G’day all Happy Australia day J

I am an Engineer that’s been working in GA for some years now. Flying has always been a boyhood dream but I suffer from a mild form of Coprolalia the rarer form of Tourette’s. This has stopped me from chasing the dream of flying as a career. Its nice to work in aviation but I really want to become a driver in one of those shiny birds

Heres a link for those who do are unaware of Coprolalia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprolalia
Coprolalia is involuntary swearing or the involuntary utterance of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks. Coprolalia comes from the Greek κόπρος meaning "feces" and λαλία meaning "babbling, meaningless talk", from lalein, "to talk". The term is often used as a clinomorphism, with 'compulsive profanity' inaccurately referred to as being Tourette syndrome.

As a child my outbursts where uncontrollable but with age and therapy I lead a fairly normal life. Mostly I can cover up an outburst in the hangar by faking that I bruised my knuckles or hit my fingers whilst working.

My condition is brought on by stressful situations and that includes just learning to fly. I worry if I start down the path of a CPL that I will have uncontrollable outbursts to passengers and during radio operations. I already have nightmares about addressing crew and passengers over the intercom. I have passed my medical as Coprolalia officially doesn’t affect my ability to fly but does seem unprecedented in Australian aviation circles

So what should my next step be? Would it be possible to get some sort of dispensation from ATC or CASA for my use of involuntary profanity?Maybe theres other avenues of a flying career I havent explored yet.

Just need some support from you guys and any suggestions to make my dream come true