PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sorry to bother
Thread: Sorry to bother
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2008, 03:59
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
With regard to the "provident fund", where does this money go? Into the bank, fund, country of your choice?
No, it goes into a managed investment fund. Within that you do have the option to diversify between several investment options.

How much would a Captain reasonably expect to accrue after seven years?
How long's a piece of string? Contributions (minimum) are 17% of base salary (5% employee, 12% employer) so around 5100DHS at the moment, increasing with pay rises and increments. Investment returns would hopefully be about 10% so do the math. Also bear in mind that whilst the Dirham is currently pegged to the US dollar, there are strong indications this will change in the next few years.

see that there is an option for unfurnished accomodation, how many square feet do they normally run?
It's the same accomodation whether furnished or unfurnished. If you take furnished you get the company issued furniture package. If you take unfurnished you get 30000DHS to ship or buy furniture. As Captain you get a Villa (which is to say, a free standing house). Couldn't give you square feet, but mine has four good sized bedrooms, large lounge, Familyroom/kitchen, 3 Bathrooms and a maids room. Adequate for a family of four.

What is silicon oasis?
It's where I live!! Compound 15 mins from the city with 560 Villas (more being built), several apartement blocks and a comunity centre. Very good for families, maybe a little quiet for singles.

Can an expat buy/own/sell property in the UAE?
Yes

Is there oceanfront available?
Yes, but bring your money with you!!!

Can I import my vehicles into the UAE from Canada?
I think the answer is yes, but you would almost certainly be better off buying a car here. They are cheap compared to most of the rest of the world.

Does one have to take the 42 day leave all at once
No

could you take a week every second month?
No. There is a bid system that means you end up with two or three leave periods per year.

Is there deeply discounted travel on EK and other airlines?
Yes, one freebee a year, discounts the rest. Avaiability can be an issue.

heard a rumour that EK's budget for schooling is often maxed out leaving employees to pay for their own childrens' education?
Completely untrue, Education is part of the contract.

I understand the sales of alcohol are limited, but can you bring alcohol into the country that you bought on a pairing?

Yes in Dubai, but you can also buy unlimited (and untaxed) amounts in the neighbouring Emirates, Um Al Quain and Ras Al Khama.

Is it true that the government restricts internet use including VOIP service?
Yes, but there are "Fixes"

how often does EK take on DECs
No regular pattern, depends on what they need at the time and who's available.

realistically, what is the mood toward someone stepping straight into the left seat?
FLAME SUIT-ON!! I came as a DEC on the 777 and, honestly, the only direct critisism I've had has been- here on PPRUNE!! The Airbus F/Os who have been held up for command have a legitimate gripe with the company. This SHOULD be solved once the A380 start arriving, and everyone should get their commands in the minimum three years. I have friends of both ranks on both types, and have never copped any grief over being a DEC (at least to my face!!)

I see that 3000 hours PIC is required on aircraft larger than 55 metric tons, is that hard and fast? For example, the B737-200 at 119500 lbs, is 54.3 tons. Was this number picked in order to exclude, the -200, the F-28 and DC-9 etc...
Yes it's hard and fast, and I don't know, that's just how it is!! ( I THINK it was chosen to exclude the BAE 146, but don't quote me!!)

Hope that helps!!