PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sorry to bother
Thread: Sorry to bother
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2008, 23:30
le soixante neuf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bother

I see that Emirates, Etihad and Qatar are all looking for direct entry Captains, although the latter two don't much interest me.
I have a few questions about life at EK that I can't seem to find answers to.
With regard to the "provident fund", where does this money go? Into the bank, fund, country of your choice? How much would a Captain reasonably expect to accrue after seven years? How much is the end of service bonus?
I see that there is an option for unfurnished accomodation, how many square feet do they normally run?
What is silicon oasis?
Can an expat buy/own/sell property in the UAE? Is there oceanfront available?
Can I import my vehicles into the UAE from Canada?
Does one have to take the 42 day leave all at once or could you take a week every second month?
Is there deeply discounted travel on EK and other airlines?
I heard a rumour that EK's budget for schooling is often maxed out leaving employees to pay for their own childrens' education?
I understand the sales of alcohol are limited, but can you bring alcohol into the country that you bought on a pairing?
Is it true that the government restricts internet use including VOIP service?
Finally, I can't imagine that there is a need for DECs every month, how often does EK take on DECs and are they welcome by the rest of the pilot community , realistically, what is the mood toward someone stepping straight into the left seat?
I realize these things seem inconsequential to some, but they are importatnt to me. Fact is, I have an excellent job with an unmatched savings plan, I just thought a change might be as good as a rest.
One final thing, I see that 3000 hours PIC is required on aircraft larger than 55 metric tons, is that hard and fast? For example, the B737-200 at 119500 lbs, is 54.3 tons. Was this number picked in order to exclude, the -200, the F-28 and DC-9 etc...

My thanks to those that take the time to answer,

le 69

le 69

Last edited by le soixante neuf; 26th Jan 2008 at 00:12.