PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New captains dont be nervous
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2008, 20:28
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olendirk,

i have gotten command half a year ago. So you may consider me unexperienced or whatever.

Now I do fly with many FOs, that have been on type for many years, just as I fly with brand new ones, who have more hours operating lawnmowers than pasengerjets. I usually leave a very long leash for my FO, letting him decide on the fuel on his leg, fly with or without flightdirector, by hand or on autopilot,... but only as long as I can cover the situation s/he puts me in. If for any reason I feel my plan doesn't hold up for the type of situation I am being put in, i will exercise my authority.
This works the other way also, when flying with a brandnew FO, who is not even able to judge his/her own abilities. If I find myself acting too fast, and have a feeling that my FO looses the ability of oversight and wouldn't be able to recover by himself, I need to do something to get him back into the cockpit, preferably even ahead. That might be to fly a 360, to level off intermediatly, or just to simply tell the tower we are not ready for departure, even if a slot is about to run out.
This is what makes flying safe.

Now as an FO, you get told by the captain, if s/he doesn't like what you are doing. As a CPT, sometimes you get told, and sometimes you have to use all your antennae to sense the unspoken. You have to order an overconfident FO to shift down a gear, and take some time to rethink the plan.

I find your attitude very immature, and I believe you have not given enough thought to the fact, that airliners are being flown together, not one guy there and the other back.
You need many more years of selfreflection, social competence. It's not just the hours on type that count.

Nic

edit: you just posted, as I was writing. Of ycourse there is no sense in talking down the FO, but if the old man feels uncomfortable whith how you are flying? Keep him in the cockpit with you, maybe he can't think the way you do, still is too busy with the new aircraft. What is the problem for you to switch to a mode, the other guy likes? Then you will be flying the thing together again, go home and have a beer - instead of having a one man show with a up approach in the end..