PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 25th Jan 2008, 01:09
Dagger Dirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand Corrected

In an earlier post (#12) on his thread, I had said:
So did they examine the RR Trent for a similar failing? I'd guess not. Never kick over rocks if you really don't want to know what might crawl out.....
It's been pointed out to me (via a PM) that this is incorrect (i.e. that the FAA had considered at the NPRM stage (of the AD cited in post 12) that the Trent 800 is equally vulnerable to the icing/waxing malady) - which was my surmise from the start.... and of course tends to confirm the validity of the FADEC freeze theory expounded at post #12.....
text received:...all below

In a recent post, you rhetorically asked if they considered the RR Trent in the AD, and I think you surmised the answer was negative.

I think this paragraph below is germane, and show that the intent was to include them with the GE, as there was no reason to expect them to respond differently (bold added):

---Quote---
Requests To Specify Lack of Events With Trent 800

Boeing and Rolls-Royce ask that we clarify the summary and paragraph (d) of the NPRM to specify that Trent 800 series engines (the subject of the proposed AD) have not experienced engine surges and internal engine damage due to ice accumulation during extended idle thrust operation in ground fog icing conditions.
We acknowledge that Trent 800 series engines have not experienced the stated events, as described in the "Discussion'' and "Similar Engine Models'' sections of the NPRM. As stated in the preamble of the NPRM, both the Trent 700 series engines and the Trent 800 series engines *have a similar compressor design, and therefore may be subject to the same unsafe condition. *We find that this information need not be added to the AD Summary section, or to any regulatory paragraphs of the AD.
---End Quote---

http://www.avionews.com/index.php?co...ante=index.php