PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phoenix East Aviation
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2008, 00:18
Mrglass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
141 Ppl @ Pea

Hi Asrian,

I can only speak for PEA and from my personal experience.

The minimum hours required to complete the 141 PPL as stated in Appendix B to Part 141 - page 442 in the 2008 FAR/AIM***:

35 hours aeronautical knowledge training (i.e. groundschool in the class room)

35 hours flight training which must include: 20hrs dual (with instructor) / 3 hrs cross country / 3 hrs night flying / one cross country of more than 100nm / 10 takeoffs and landings to full stop / 3hrs instrument training.

All of the above is taken care of in the structured PEA 141 PPL. BUT - the odds of you being ready for your end of course check ride right on 35 hours are very, very slim. This is to be expected - especially if this is the first time you've flown.

PEA's website has a price of $8543:
http://www.pea.com/courses/far141Specs.asp#pc

You are going to be going from zero knowledge to a certified pilot, which means there is lots to learn both academically and physically (in the plane).

As mentioned in my last post, I completed the PPL at PEA in:
60hrs flight time,
113 days start to finish,
$14,088.00 (so...$5545 over the website price)

I just want to be clear - I'm all for PEA! I just want to help people be more realistic with their planning. It is also important to note that the following courses once you actually have your PPL will be attained much closer to the required minimums, so...:

SE PPL: Minimum: 35hrs Realistic: 60-75hrs
IRC: Minimum: 35hrs Realistic: 45-50hrs
ME PPL: Minimum: 20hrs Realistic: 25hrs
ME CPL: Minimum: 35hrs Realistic: 35hrs (no buffer!)
CFI: Realistic: 10hrs
CFII: Realistic: 10hrs
MEI: Realistic: 12hrs

So from PPL to MEI - approximately: 200hrs - (+/- 20-30 depending on the individual)

Better to over-budget than to under-budget!

Good luck to you! Maybe see you around PEA one day.

Me.

*** I would advise looking at the 2008 FAR/AIM - it is THE source of information for pilots. It has all laws, requirements, information you could ever need including requirements for all part 61/141 courses - so you know exactly what is coming at you in th future.

Last edited by Mrglass; 25th Jan 2008 at 00:34.