PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airband Scanners
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 21:10
ex jump pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth using a receiver to help "learn" pilot speak?
I got hold of an airband radio whilst I was obtaining my PPL. I felt it was useful to hear the chatter on the radio. OK - most of it was airline as I lived in West London but I sorted out an external aerial (antenna to some) that meant I could hear the ground stations.

After a while, I felt quite comfortable with the radio as I had heard enough of it to know the phrases used. Talking to a recorder would have helped in the sense of being forced to speak the necessary words.

It takes time for some people to gain confidence with the radio. Possibly realising that, for most PPL flying, it's the pilot who is in charge - not the person on the ground operating the radio. We don't need to "ask permission" to change frequency when talking to "Estuary" Radio or Information. We tell them. OK, Information does have the final say on the ground in the long term but we are in charge of the aircraft and have a big say in what happens when things to get difficult (such as engine failure only to be told that "sorry but you'll have to give me lots of facts whilst you are trying to land the 'plane" - yes, it really happens and I heard it when a Tiger Moth was plonking itself down in a nearby field after the engine stopped).

So do spend a few GB pounds on a radio after having established that you can hear aircraft where you live (a basement flat in a big town really won't be any good...).

PS - someone asked about using an airband radio in flight. I've lifted this from the BA web site...
"Electronic games, iPods, iPaqs, small radios, tape and disc players, miniature television receivers, GPS receivers and similar entertainment equipment have negligible effect on aircraft systems and may be used during flight, but must be switched off during take-off, approach and landing."
Hope that reassures the questioner.