PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new President and GC - what then? Negotiation, contract compliance,more industrial?
Old 24th Jan 2008, 16:25
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new President and GC - what then? Negotiation, contract compliance,more industrial?

I am sure many of you have seen the email doing the rounds. The question is, what do we do about it.

Immediate option
We could get 10% of the members to call for an EGM and have a vote of no confidence in the representation of the GC. Should that vote pass, it would be an effective coup d'etat and we would end up with a new GC and president.

Patient option
We could wait until the next GC changeover (Jul-Aug) and ensure many more like minded individuals run for the GC and presumably at least one more candidate for AOA president.

The disadvantage of the immediate option is that it is politically messy when you get rid of people. And whilst the process of having an EGM and then electing in the next GC was going on, no real negotiations or GC actions can be conducted.

The disadvantage of the patient option is that the current President and GC will be voting on RPs and Housing - 2 negotiations where there is much to lose should the negotiators continue the practice of the last 5 years of rubber stamping every deal, except CoS08. So by the time the new pres and GC comes into operation they will be stuck with 2 deals, fait accompli.

So ladies and gentlemen, I ask for your opinions on what is the best way forward. Do we make a mass exodus to the CPU? Do we get our 110signatures and call an EGM. Do we just wait till the normal GC changeover and then try to recover any further concessions that have been given!

What is the right course of action once we have a representative GC and president? Contract compliance - and more? SHould we study our actions in 1999 and 2001 and maybe pick and choose what worked so that we can up the ante? With onshoring around the corner, we may have the legitimate right to strike if that is what people want to do. Golf?

Anyway, this is an open forum so please comment wisely. If you wish to say something privately to me then PM or email my personal email.