PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield Airport To Close - 22nd April 08
Old 24th Jan 2008, 14:27
Julian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed and whilst we cant begrudge a business for making money dont forget that they actually purchased the site for £1. So the £8m they have since put in has actually turned out to be a very cheap investment (as long as dont call shortening the runway an 'investment').

Peel also own Doncaster and obviously dont see the point of owning 2 airports close and of course its competition for Doncaster. Wasn't there also talk about widening the airspace around Doncaster? Maybe this is another way them achieve this? (putting my cynical hat on)

I agree, any business park will serve a community more than a small airport in terms of jobs, etc, however I would not agree that it didnt serve the community at all.

As regards the condition of the buildings and subsidence, I am no surveying expert but all the buildings round there are either brand new or only a few years only. The airport building itself is very modern and showing no signs degreneration.

I think the main thing is the speed at which it has suddenly been decide to shut having been informed late last year that we had a further 2-3 years before we would have to think about moving. I am sure the staff are in more shock that we are as we are only tennants, as you say, for them their livelyhood has just vanished!

I would love to purchase it myself but unfortunately just checked my overdraft limit and even once I have been paid I think I may be just a bit short of funds

J.