PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Pumas
Thread: Flying Pumas
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 13:06
AusWhirlyBusDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxying the AS332L

About 99% of my time is on wheeled helicopters. A reasonable percentage is on the AS332L. I cannot comment on the SA330J, I was not lucky (or unlucky some might say) enough to fly her.

A few interesting facts have been highlighted in the thread, of which I am sure a few are contributing factors to rollover (high CofG, narrow wheel base and weight being an issue with light fuel load).

One that I was taught (& subsequently now teach) & which has not been mentioned is that fact that a large tail rotor force exists (up to 2 tonnes of thrust I have been told) when applying excessive right pedal duing a ground taxi turn.
Pretty well the worst case scenerio would be with a very light fuel load, a ground taxi right turn with a wind from your right, therefore producing an excessive rolling moment to the left (especially if too much right pedal is applied in the turn). Is that clear?

Like I was alwasy taught;

"When your light & turning right, best be careful else you'll get a fright!"

Someone else pointed out lead with cyclic. I agree. Combine this with keeping a level frame and going easy on the right turns with pedal & you should be right. (I also avoid right turns with low fuel and no pax where possible).
Good luck.