PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 04:00
Dick Smith

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts
CaptainMidnight, you state:

And don't say it is as simple as adding 50c to each ticket. There are not simple solutions to complex problems.
The reason I have made a few dollars in business is that I have always looked for simple solutions for complex problems.

The civilian side of the airport charges an amount per head for people to land at Williamtown. If they added 50 cents per head, this would bring in between $500,000 and $750,000 per annum – an adequate amount to man a Class D tower during airline operations.

Regarding manning the tower, you state:

I think in the industry you are very much alone with that proposal. GA have the freedom to operate in the area on weekends, and to propose activating the airspace instead and lose that freedom I think it is unlikely to get support from any group.
You seem to ignore the fact that I want the airspace activated and modern Class D procedures used – i.e. simply a traffic information service between IFR and VFR, and reasonable dimensions on the Class D airspace. If this existed there would be no measurable reduction in freedom for GA aircraft, and safety would be substantially improved.

By the way, once again you seem to resist change at just about every move. Instead of saying that some of the ideas are good and should be looked at, you basically say that the status quo should be maintained.