PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phoenix East Aviation
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 22:39
Mrglass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Opinion:

I recently completed my 141 PPL (SE) at Phoenix East Aviation and am very pleased with the school so far.

PEA has a very good structure to all of their courses. It uses the ETA computer tracking system which allows you to know exactly where you are in your progress. The standardized approach allows you to predict what is coming next, study for it and progress.

Ground school (classroom lessons) are held every month for PPL, IRC, CPL, CFI licenses and last 20 days - Mon-Fri 2.5 hrs each day.

The part 141 PPL took me 113 days to complete from start to finish (Xmas slowed things down a bit).

I finished with 60 hours and was one of the first in my class to do so. I had an excellent instructor and studied hard and enjoyed the process very much.

The course cost (me) $14,088 from the day I arrived to the day I got my license. This figure includes books (for the whole set of PPL IRC/CPL/ME/CFI/CFII/MEI courses) ground school, orals, flight time, visa applications, TSA security checks, fingerprinting - basically EVERYTHING.

As with any flight school you need to appreciate that you are not going to hit the minimum hours needed to get each license. 35 hours PPL on a 141 course is not going to happen - this number is just the "minimum". Once you accept that you will be above this number and budget the steep learning curve into your financial/time calculations you will be fine.

Likewise the internet price of 141 PPL $8543 - is probably not going to happen. I was amongst the first in my class to finish the PPL - it cost me $14,088. Some people in my "class" (time I started/enrolled at PEA) are still on their PPL - everyone is different - you will be too. Be smart, be realistic, plan ahead and you should be ok.

I am keeping extremely detailed notes on how much everything has cost as I'm working to a budget just like everyone else. If you want any details I can post them here.

I am now on the 141 IRC course:
4 weeks ground school,
32 one-to-one oral sessions (1hr each),
Approx 17 simulator hours,
Approx 35 Cessna 172sp hours.
(I estimate this will come to about $11045.00)

I will inform you when/if I pass.

The school has plenty of planes, plenty of instructors and a wide range of students from all sorts of countries (majority Norwegian/Indian). It is a great place to learn to fly and have fun at the same time. I have never had a flight canceled due to lack of planes or an instructor not showing up. I do not know of anybody who has had this happen to them.

The only thing that will slow you down at this school is the weather. 360 days of flyable weather simply doesn't exist here. When storms/rain/clouds/mist move(s) in and you're working on your PPL and need clear skies you just have to learn to be patient. The longest period of bad weather which grounded me and other friends was about 2-3 weeks long. God knows what "Hurricane Season" will be like. Again, budget this into your time estimates.

Staff are all very friendly and will help you out, I feel I can go to any number of people who work there with any questions/problems I might have - not just my admissions officer. The way the courses are laid out (with various stage checks throughout each course) you get to know a lot of the more senior check-instructors. Before you know it, you will be saying "hello" and trading chit-chat with dozens of other students and instructors.

There is a steady rate of both instructors leaving the school due to being hired by regionals / going home to jobs (Europe, India) and current students graduating to instructors - keeping the flow steady and everybody moving up one step at a time.

The environment is a very industrious one - everyone works hard and you'll find respect is returned to you if you are serious and work hard for what you want. Everybody is here for the same reason - it is very easy to get along with other students.

Coming from Europe to PEA was a big decision and a big risk financially. If you are realistic with your money and apply yourself you will be fine.

If anybody would like more information about prices and my (realistic) estimates for 141 courses: PPL / IRC / ME PPL rating / CPL ME / CFI / CFII / MEI (all of which I will be doing eventually) - message me on here and I'll fill you in.

Oh, and Daytona Beach itself is an ok place to live....for a while....not much going on here...but you're here to work, so get over it. It goes from being boring as hell to absolutely crazy whenever and "event" is on - Biketoberfest, Daytona 500, Bike Week, etc etc

A very agreeable standard of living can be had for $1000-1200 per month - including all bills, fuel, rent, fun-money (beer), mobile phone contract, etc.

In my opinion, PEA is a great school. I recommend it to anybody considering a 141 school in FL.

Message me for any info, I'll see if i can help.

Last edited by Mrglass; 23rd Jan 2008 at 23:07.