PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does one crash 'nicely'?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 21:08
pontifex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does one crash 'nicely'?

This topic was touched on in the 777 discussions but I didn't bite as it would have been blatant thread creep. However, now that we can expect to be able to access PPrune again it might be worth raising the subject to promote discussion. Not sure if Rumours and News is the right place for it but it can always be moved.

There is an old adage "If you are going to have a crash, have it with the wings level" and I feel no-one will argue with that. But there has always been discussion on whether to crash land on concrete or grass and whether to do so gear up or down. It seems that the biggest difference of opinion is grass or concrete. I feel strongly that it should be hard surface. As it is said "It's not the falling that hurts, it the stopping". Deceleration on concrete will be much less and, although there will be sparks, earth and stuff will not be ripping the structure apart (causing sparks) and rupturing fuel tanks whilst atomizing the fuel. If you analyze the Sioux City crash, the aircraft seemed to be sliding right side up until it went into the corn at which time it started to cartwheel, somersault and break up.

Gear or no gear. Unless it is a ditching, I believe this is a no-brainer. Even if it gets ripped off during the initial impact, it has done its job by taking the first shock, and this is relevant on soft or hard surfaces. In my opinion the 777 would have been a tragedy had it touched down gear up. It may be that most will think this is stating the blindingly obvious but I had quite a full, frank and free discussion with a fellow tp when we were flying the prototype Tucano with a flame out and no electrics (no gear indication). I was set up to land on the runway but agitated stick movement from the rear with accompanying gestures made it plain he wanted the grass. Since he had signed for I complied. The gear was down and it was a non event, but it does illustrate that opinions differ between even quite experienced pilots. This is why I am starting this thread because I believe it is a subject that deserves an airing.