Thread: ATZ question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 15:48
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
I said 'should' in post 7 because some A/G operators aren't as informative as they could be.
Example: friend of mine flying a Kingair in the south east of England heading for France; as he approaches a notified parchute site situated on a licenced airfield with A/G service, he calls for traffic info even though he will pass overhead the ATZ. When he finally gets a reply after several calls, he's told 'no known traffic'. But as he's been on frequency for several minutes, he's aware that there is a parachuting aircraft airborne having heard him also calling the A/G frequency. My friend then talked directly to the parachute aircraft pilot and they sorted out a course of action.(the para man held his drop until the Kingair was clear of the ATZ). In my opinion the A/G operator SHOULD have advised my friend of the likelihood of getting 'meat bombs' descending on him but didn't.
What did your mate not understand about the 'notified parachute site' part that there was some doubt in his mind as to the possibility of parachuting activity?

Originally Posted by CAP413
5.2.3 An AGCS radio station operator is not necessarily able to view
any part of the aerodrome or surrounding airspace. Traffic information
provided by an AGCS radio station operator is therefore based primarily
on reports made by other pilots. Information provided by an AGCS radio station operator may be used to assist a pilot in making decisions,
however, the safe conduct of the flight remains the pilot’s responsibility.
Why not just avoid the place by a few miles? if he hadn't heard anything
from the drop plane or the A/G operator, what was the plan of
action?

(or was this just the worst 'I've got a mate with a KingAir' post, ever? )