PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in 21 days!?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 15:37
Irish_Stu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to EFT in Nov/Dec '07 to do a PPL and came home with 27 hours flying after 6 weeks. Again, mainly due to aircraft availability, maintenance issues, and the odd spell of bad weather (but not much).
I had no problems joining a local club at home to finish. Main issues are getting used to the local airspace and RT (which I guess you'll have to do whether you finish in Florida or not) and getting used to the different aircraft. And obviously you will pay twice as much to fly in Europe as you will in the US.
Personally, if I was starting again and looking to do a PPL in a reasonably short time, at this time of year i would go to America and budget for 8 weeks to complete the course. It really is a major bonus having consistently good weather. Trying to do a PPL in Europe at this time of year is a case of two steps forward one step back due to the bad weather and cancelled lessons all the time. If I was doing it in summertime, I'd stay in the UK and do it. By the time you pay for your flights, visas and TSA clearance, accommodation for two months, food etc, and take unpaid leave from work, I just don't think it's that much cheaper to go to America.