PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB initial report out on BA B777 crash at LHR
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 15:07
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God help us! Never before have I seen so much uninformed bull being spouted.

This is exactly the reason that these threads will never die:

Post 302
The three Daily Mail photographs were of the same aircraft, so there was on very short finals AC power available (APU or main generators) to power the landing/ nosewheel lights.
Post 303
It looks to me that one of the DM photos is not of said aircraft - the landing lights are on!. Not something you would expect to see with a power failure and running on emergency power.
People with limited or zero aviation knowledge keep posting uninformed twaddle without bothering to read previous post and see that their half-witted pet theory was dismissed as ridiculous by those more likely to know on thread 1 page 1.

I have a reasonable amount of professional piloting experience on twin turbine multi crew aircraft, but because it is not on passenger jets I have so far bitten my tongue. I have some opinions about the accident but because of my lack of directly relevent knowledge I do not consider it appropriate to start arguing the toss - a fact that should be considered by all the taxi drivers, flight simmers, school kids etc who are clogging up the website. It was laughable initially but now it's a pain in the arse and just the sort of thing that could make PPRUNE restrict its membership to Pro Pilots only, which would be a shame.

Amongst my favourites so far include:
  • B777 avionics run on Microsoft Windows so someone with a laptop used wifi to hack into the autopilot and cause the crash.
  • There was no avgas in the tanks.

Sorry to be harsh but if you know virtually nothing about aviation then your opinion on this subject is worthless and simply a waste of bandwidth. Rant over!

My money is on a software snag and I have experienced numerous FADEC failures in the past that have resulted in OEI flight in a twin. However, in the poll I voted for alien intervention to illustrate the futility of these theads. I know nothing of significance about trains or ships, and next time there is a rail or shipping accident I will STFU. Others take heed.