PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR Harmonisation
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 08:44
leopold bloom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bases, what bases?

Just a very small correction, and I think you need to consult the ITT, but the last time I looked you couldn't shut or move Portland and Lee.

Crabb. What second standby under SAR-H? Its 12 bases and 12 aircraft on call.
I have just read the ITT again and there is no mention of any number of bases. The ITT simply specifies a response time:"1 on state airborne system to any specified location, within the relevant risk areas, within 60 min of take off." There are other qualifying clauses regarding the types of risk area but if the contractor could meet those requirements from a single base on the moon using a pan-galactic space hopper then that would do. None of the present bases are sacrosanct nor is there any mention of 12 bases. The whole point of this sytem of tendering is that the contractor comes up with the solution and is not constrained by the present arrangements. That said, with cost being a major factor, I don't think that the solution will come up with bases that are too far from their present locations. Anyway it's raining (again) here at Sunnyvale and I must find something more interesting to do than re-reading ITT's, any thoughts SARREMF?