PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 07:09
CaptainMidnight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the reason Airservices Australia cannot man the tower on weekends is because the Air Force will not allow it.
I suggest the real reasons are 1) Airservices don't have additional ATCs to staff the place and 2) who would pay for the considerable cost of their salaries, travel and facilities.

And don't say it is as simple as adding 50c to each ticket. There are not simple solutions to complex problems.
Dick, I was listening in to your conversation (diatribe) with WLM ATC on my brand new Bearcat BC92XLT scanner.... very professional stuff, I think you gave them a true indication of the type of guy they are dealing with.
If true, a disgrace. Chewing the ear of ATC and as a result distracting them from their work is a safety issue and therefore unforgiveable.

Exactly what was said?
A good example is in Airspace 2000, we attempted to bring in a recommendation that when on a two-way airway, aircraft should fly a small amount (0.1 nautical miles) to the right of track.
Do all aircraft capable of flying IFR routes have nav systems capable of offset tracking? No, I didn't think so ........ again simple solutions to complex problems.
Manning the air traffic control tower on weekends
I think in the industry you are very much alone with that proposal. GA have the freedom to operate in the area on weekends, and to propose activating the airspace instead and lose that freedom I think it is unlikely to get support from any group.