PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 07:08
Front Pit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A malevolent trick of the polar light........

It would appear some people still believe the world is flat.
Mount Erebus isn't flat but McMurdo Sound is.

400R, Thanks had a great Christmas & New Year and hope everyone else did too. No need to say sorry, in this case I’m only the messenger. However, in altering information regarding the 1979 Erebus disaster in 2007 it appears that old habits die hard with some at Air New Zealand. Quite amazing. It’s also amazing, and quite appalling that some here wish to dance on the graves of Jim Collins & Greg Cassin for not actually seeing an optical illusion!!………. What a prospect!

Thanks for your interesting posts nick charles and desert dingo.

At the end of the 1981 documentary “Flight 901 – The Erebus Disaster” and the 1987 mini-series “Erebus – The Aftermath” they make similar quote’s from Justice Mahon’s finding’s ---- “For my purposes the most definitive illustration of the hidden peril’s of the Antarctic was the wreckage which lay on the mountainside below me, showing how the forces of nature, if given the chance, can sometimes defeat the flawless technology of man. The crash was a million to one chance caused by a series of disastrous administrative blunders, but the ultimate key to the tragedy lay here in the white silence of Lewis Bay, the place to which the airliner had been unerringly guided by it’s micro electronic navigation system, only to be destroyed in clear air, and without warning, by a malevolent trick of the polar light”.

I think that say’s it all.

May they rest in peace………….FP