PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recognition of internet connection
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 22:29
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 293 Likes on 187 Posts
It's not the DHCP server service that is on the router I'm concerned about here, BOAC, it's actually the DHCP client on the laptop, as evidenced by the contents of the IPCONFIG /all:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Railink Turbo Wireless LAN card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-60-66-F2-E9
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
Note that DHCP client is OFF, Default gateway is not specified, and no DNS servers are listed. That is not going to get anywhere!

There are 2 possibilities - set up the IP configuration manually, or set it all to DHCP. I assume that the latter is in use.

There are lots of ways into Network Connections, but Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network Connections will get you there.

Now double click the wireless card - Properties - Internet Protocol - Properties - General - ensure that both Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically are selected.

Save and exit.

Voila.

ps

I don't the think the router is the problem, a) because the laptop IP address would be 169.x.x.x if it was set to use DHCP but couldn't find a DHCP server and b) because other clients on the network are fine.

If the settings are configured manually, then uklocations should find out from the other PCs what the correct settings should be, and set them exactly the same (except for the IP address, the last digit of which should be different to all the others and non-zero).

SD