PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shaheen Air
Thread: Shaheen Air
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 18:38
BombardierCR7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newscaster - since when have bmi or BMed shown an interest in serving the UK - Pakistan market from any airport? isn't that like saying why haven't Ryanair or Easyjet not served them - perhaps it's not in their stategic business model for them!

As for PIA they serve the major airport in each of these regions due to the size of the core and extended catchment areas. Each of these catchments contain or overlap with areas of large Pakistani population. Why would PIA operate into additional airports within these catchment areas when there is no competition? Shaheen (or whoever else may come along at some point) have perhaps identified as part of their business model that they can directly serve these communites from alternative airports in the region without going head to head with PIA on the same city pair. Should Shaheen find a niche market, then you may see PIA change the way it operates in his market. Afterall, PIA have dropped their lead in price from MAN by £120, ironically a few days after the Shaheen announcement. One presumes they see this move by Shaheen as a threat to markets it believed it had control of.

I'm not saying Shaheen will be successful or not, that will be up to how well they place their product, how financiall secure they are, and how competition reacts. My point, newscaster, is that your comments show you have a lack of understanding of geographic and population demographics of the UK in relation to this subject. Either that, or you have a vested interest (I also note your comments on the UKIA thread) to see such ventures fail.