PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Mechanical Rescue Devices
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 14:20
RedWhite&Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Offshore

In the not so distant past one OIM complained that a Co-pilot used a stairway on his installation without using the handrail to create a three point contact throughout. The pilot concerned was disciplined and a Flight Staff Instruction was issued to prevent this happening again. Slightly heavy handed, maybe, but putting safety first - generally a good thing.

Now we have an OIM going ballistic because crews are unhappy to risk shuttling in seas in excess of 5m swell, with only mechanical recovery (not rescue) available, following a ditching.

We are lead to believe that mechanical recovery devices can not be used in close proximity of a platform, due to the lack of SBV manuverability in high seas.

We are lead to believe that the best practice in recovering survivors from the water/life raft is via a Daughter craft/FRC which is in turn recovered to the SBV. As I understand it, it is the recovery of the Daughter craft/FRC that poses the greatest risk in high seas.

Only when this best practice is unavailable (I guess because the Master of the SBV is not prepared to expose his crew to that risk) is "mechanical recovery only" offered.

So why if the Master of the SBV is not willing to expose his crew to that risk, should I expose my crew and passengers to a greater risk if we do end up in the water?

Maybe just so that the Oil/Gas Company can keep the profits flowing? Lets put profit before safety hey!

Thank goodness there are some very sensible Oil/Gas companies who stop flying ops in these conditions.

And I'm always aware of the bravory and skill of the crews of the SBV's. I would hate to put them in greater perril. I know 'on the day of the races' most would endevour to launch their FRC in what ever weather they faced. So maybe I have a responsibility to them too.

I'd like to know from an OIM, if handrails are so important, why keep flying in 'Dacon Scoop only' conditions?

Fly safe
Red