PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet - 3
Thread: Easyjet - 3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 12:48
aerospace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does easyJet really consider Ryanair as it's number one current competitor?
Does easyJet know sufficiently well Ryanair to purpose an efficient counter-attack?

This is two questions that I am asking myself.
During past years, easyJet usually said that they have a different business model than Ryanair, that easyJet biggest competitor was more BA than Ryanair etc. But currently, it is clear that the biggest target of Ryanair is not fly be or BMI Baby, even when they launch a base at BHX; their main target is obviously easyJet.

Today Ryanair has around 190 routes to/from the UK compare to 120 for EZY... Among the last bases opened by Ryanair were Bristol, Belfast, Bournemouth and Birmingham, all on the easyJet initial “protected” UK market!
And apparently the deal is closed with EDI as well!

I LOVE easyJet, but I think they are currently too shy against Ryanair. For 2 years I am waiting their counter attack against FR, but nothing happened. Even worst, the solution they adopted (attract more business travellers through GDS, lounges etc) is probably good on a financial basis on the short term. But the problem is it diluted its image of low fare airline. More and more people say that easyJet is no more a low fare airline. That’s why I think their current strategy is dangerous on a long term basis, because its strong brand which has been an historic asset, is becoming less and less attractive for leisure travellers.

That's why I ask myself if they are not a bit too arrogant vs. Ryanair, and that they should not consider more seriously and very quickly the risk coming from the Irish carrier?

That’s also why I asked if they know Ryanair enough to counter-attack with a good strategy.
I totally agree with one of the previous post. EZY MUST attack Ryanair on its DUB market. DUB is Ryanair cash cow. It allows them to compete easyJet with very low low fare on routes where they are in direct competition such as Belfast London, to/from Basel, to/from LPL or BRI etc

The problem would be not to launch route in direct competition with Aer Lingus (such as CDG or BCN) because EI is not in a very good shape, and if they bankrupt, the situation would be even worst that before for easyJet. EZY should rather study the yield of Ryanair DUB routes (or asked them politely ) in order to compete FR on their DUB best routes (I assume the UK and eastern cities).

I would be happy to have your point of view, am i too negative about EZY situation? Does Ryanair is not currently wining the war against easyJet (10 thousands more passenger on 2007!)? and does easyJet take enough into consideration the risk represented by Ryanair?