PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 years old, off to university this year and wants to be a airline pilot
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 12:01
AlphaMale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do other 'pilots to-be' with fATPLs do while waiting for their big chance - or is it basically just get the best paid desk-job you can for a while and wait for your opportunity in the airline industry?
Dan, there are a few options but it depends on the indevidual.

I'd expect you'll be in the same position as me, a BSc in IT that should easily give you a £20k/£25k pa job at a desk 9-5.

But with a fATPL or indeed just a CPL you can get paid to fly. Add a £7k Flying Instructor course to that and you can instruct for a living (albeit while waiting for a positive reply from the CV you sent to the airlines).

FI's pay isn't that good but it's not bad either. Consider you'll be flying as much as 800hrs a year doing something you love but only getting paid £18k / £20k (?) pa.

Some people can't instuct, don't want to instruct or don't have the £7k to do a FI course to instruct. So if they have experience/degree that can earn them £30k pa to keep a roof over their family's head I can't blame them for going back to the office job.

Others that have a big HSBC loan of say £50k around their neck will have £1k debited from their account every month for the next 6 years. I can't imagine a FI pay being enough to pay this loan and live?

Other jobs can be glider tug, banner towing or work with a skydiving school etc

Good luck