PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 07:22
Capt Hollywood
I'll get me coat......

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
........cruising without swing bar because this one keeps its position well once the ball centered in the medium. It is thus a very balanced helicopter which Bruno Guimbal is on the point of certifying. Small Tiger or Olivier? During all our evolutions, I am bluffé by the extreme handiness and the reactivity of the CABRI. Considering his careened anti-torque rotor, I expected to have to anticipate with the foot as it is of habit with any helicopter having a Small window. But it of it is nothing. Each action on the swing bar results immediately in a movement into lace. To anticipate? You speak! Of course, that is also worth for the cyclic one. It is true, the handle a little hard, that is really made think of a rigid rotor. But just like on rigid rotor helicopter, each movement of cyclic makes react immediately. One then obtains a very reactive helicopter without giving to the pilot the feeling of an unstable machine. I think that improved helicopters of combat as the Tiger must convey similar feelings, all things considered. After having abused the machine, I yield the orders to Olivier to discover the possibilities of the CABRI. And there, I am truly époustouflé. Between Olivier Gensse who is a test pilot out par and the small CABRI with the unsuspected performances, the cocktail is clashing. At all events, the small demonstration highlights several points: the CABRI has a so broad flight envelope that the normal pilot will fly in all circumstances with a beautiful safety margin. For the pilot beginning, the CABRI will be much easier to tame than R22 and the experienced pilot will be able to find at each hour of new possibilities and reasons to open out. Only 145 cv? It is necessary to acknowledge that by seeing this machine planned for a maximum weight of 700 kg, I have instinctively dreaded to miss power. It is true, 145 cv, that does not make much. But after my meeting in flight, near to the maximum mass, I am obliged to regard my first judgement as hasty. It is true that if industry were finally able to propose a reliable and light engine developing 200 cv, the rotor of race of the CABRI could certainly be still well better expressed. But while waiting, the new tricolour helicopter is placed with the same sign as all the other manufacturers. The day of the test, the conditions weather were ISA +9°C, which did not seem to disturb the CABRI. During all my flight, I seldom had the feeling to miss power. It is true that at the time of a a little fast approach with strong slope, one does not have the same power as with a turbine to force the CABRI to stop. But it is enough to pull up a little more because the capacity of the rotor slightly charged, with its modern profile with strong capacity of bearing pressure, still makes it possible to fly with only 380 turns rotor. In comparison with all the other helicopters with pistons, it should be said that the machine of Bruno Guimbal is very astonishing. Very appreciable also this reactivity with the orders which makes it possible to carry out even the operations most dared with a perfect ease. For the small history, let us note that the CABRI holds several records of world (approved FAI): Olivier Gensse carried out inter alia the machine to 6' 658 m of altitude, that corresponds to the FL 220! Not only for the schools It is necessary to acknowledge that the traditional two-seater helicopters have especially a vocation as a teaching aid. Imposing a fine and pure piloting, I always liked small R22 to learn "If you can control R22, you will be able all to control..." told me the instructor of my beginnings. But to travel, the absence of trunk and a reduced payload penalize small Robi. Schweizer 300 makes it possible on the other hand to take along some personal effects and its broad front bench is convivial even enough for three people. But by this concept, resistance in the air is considerable and a cruising speed rather timid results from it. Bruno Guimbal understood well that to design a revolutionary helicopter, it was necessary well to exceed the stage of the machine which nothing but does "well fly". The small trunk inside makes it possible to place the orders of flight, two helmets and various small equipment and even your picnic. For those which hope to use it for special missions, the place could also be useful for the installation of material various like equipment of transmission for video uses for example. The external baggage hold makes dribble of desire any owner of a MANDELEVIUM 500: to carry two bags of cabin does not pose a problem for the CABRI. At the time when we write these lines, of many parameters are not validated yet. Thus, the figures of performances and the abacuses which we publish are the information provided on a purely strictly indicative basis. Even if there are very good lucks that the CABRI reaches these values, Bruno Guimbal indicates that the final values will be available in the months which follow. The acquisition of the data at the time of a certification is a long process comprising of many parameters. But we will follow this project of near and will deliver the evolution at the time of future tests to you. In the case of the CABRI, the compromise between performances, comfort and safety seems particularly well defined. The helicopter is announced with a cruising speed of 100 kts for Vne of 125 kts, knowing that Olivier Gensse validated the resistance of the machine at the time of tests to speeds of 140 kts, which is more than the margin of the 11% lawful. Moreover, a wind noise, left similar "flap-flap" to the noise of large Bell, appears gradually as of 130 kts. It is an excellent warning signal for the thoughtless pilot who would have omitted to notice that it was found with a rate of fall bordering the 4' 000 ft/min. This Vne high shows the great potential of this rotor. The ceiling except ground effect is not validated yet bus of the adjustments to contain the temperature of the engine are in hand. The ceiling OF was validated with 8 000 ft: that should be enough to go to the ski to two. The immense anti-crash tank of 170 L usable authorizes an endurance of approximately five hours. By this rather single combination of qualities, the CABRI will be of course a very good machine for the schools and clubs, but could also be useful afterwards for true voyages for the members of the structure having learned how to fly on the type. For the private one which is already pilot of helicopter but which did not cross the step of the purchase yet, the CABRI will be a very convincing argument. Made in France It is true that the French aircraft do not have the reputation to be cheap. In this moment, Bruno Guimbal accepts purchase orders relating to an amount of 240' 000? HT. This tariff includes/understands rather complete equipment. We note especially this locking centralized by remote control, the double dismountable orders without tools, a CO detector and an automatic carburizing reheating. This last point appears to us the of greattest importance on board a piston helicopter. In option, the customer will be able to make install an air-conditioning, a buoyancy of help, a dashboard VSV or a containing hydrocarbon flowmeter with posting of autonomy. For maintenance, Hélicoptères Guimbal aims a first visit at 100 hours, then one 500 H and a 4' 000 H, left major inspection. Lycoming requires a draining with change of the filters all the 50 H. The potentials aimed for the mechanical sets are of 4' 000 h. Bruno Guimbal indicates to want to manufacture a machine whose maintenance will not be compromised by calendar thrusts. It is highly desirable that this wish becomes reality. For this reason, it should be indicated that the company Hélicoptères Guimbal gives the impression to have succeeded in creating a fabulous machine but does not seem for the moment not too much to worry about the other aspects to propose a complete solution. Besides it is advisable to note that contrary to our practices, we are not able to publish curves of performances nor even a three-view drawing: although promised with repetition by Guimbal, we never received them. This Marseilles side disturbs and does not make serious. The man has only two arms and only one head, we agree on it, but the promises are made to be held and it remains to be hoped that the future customers who currently sign the purchase orders will not have nasty surprises on this side. The CABRI is placed as a direct competitor compared to Robinson 22 and the range of Schweizer 300. These two machines are tariffed in dollars, which is currently a very good news for any owner of euros. It as should be known as companies as Socata post the price of their machines in American dollar, contrary to Eurocopter which currency in euros. It is obvious that long-term, the success of the CABRI will be also closely related to its penetration of the American market. It is only while entering a true logic of industrial production that Hélicoptères Guimbal will be able to be established as a principal actor in the market of the revolving aerofoils. It is by a logic of mass that it will be possible to ensure a SAV the height of best, I think of companies like Bell or Cessna. Particular context That made now more than 30 years that the last two-seater piston helicopter was designed. With the CABRI, the company around Bruno Guimbal proposes a truly innovative machine. Very good performances, real versatility, great volumes for occupants and luggage, high level of safety, the result seems without call: us here opposite the first piston helicopter for two people of the third millenium. After my trial flight, the conclusion is obvious: if I were to buy a two-seater helicopter, my choice would go towards a CABRI. This decision and largely moved by qualities in flight of the machine and its level of safety. The small reserves issued in our article are a little normal insofar as it acts of the first helicopter of a new company.
Certification is always planned for the end of this year 2006 and the first customers will have their CABRI in 2007 according to current information's. A good idea is thus to go to see Bruno Guimbal at the time of your next Aix-en-Provence passage. But go ahead especially to sign orders because the man likes to chatter and any hour that you will fly to his kindness will delay for as much certification! And that, not, it would be really too regrettable according to what I could note at the time of my trial flight... Philippe Bavaria