PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Aborted Landing in Bilbao
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2008, 21:41
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 158 Likes on 32 Posts
Freq SLF,

I've just had a quick review of the posts and I don't think anybody has targetted you specifically with any vitriolic comments - I'd actually like to thank you for starting the thread!

There are a few "hot heads" on here who like to shout how good they are - but the majority of us (I think) are reasonably placid and post accordingly. I have to confess though I do get a little tired of some comments by people who evidentally have no idea what they are on about. As I said earlier, by all means ask sensible questions but please do not pass judgement if you are not in a position to do so (that's not aimed specifically at you SLF! )

You say we are "just doing our job" and "the rest of the world doesn't understand" -well both comments are true. Yes we are doing our job and the "average Joe" does not understand what it's like to land at somewhere like BIO in the conditions depicted in the pics with 150+ passengers behind you and a several million dollars worth of company equipment in your hands. As demonstrated by the Iberia landing in a split second it can all go very pear shaped with potentially VERY serious consequences. And that's the crux. There are not too many jobs in the world that, if you make a mistake, can have such devastating consequences in a heartbeat......... which is why we get a little vexed by some of the comments that get posted on here. I wouldn't dream of passing comment on a heart surgeons technique, so why would a PPL criticise a (close to limits) crosswind landing of 60 tonne swept wing airliner?

Once again, thanks for initiating the thread.

Regards

A4