PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK considers alternatives to Nimrod R.1 upgrade
Old 21st Jan 2008, 21:41
Ivan Rogov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Witty, you have a point re 3 a/c to provide enough frames for Ops (and even exercises which are essential for training and developing tactics).
Even with my very limited knowledge of the R1 I won't comment on numbers in use etc. or when and where they are used.
I am not advocating 2 frames for the role but 2 or 3 large aircraft that are all singing, all dancing and then more of a smaller type with the capability required for less complex missions, ideally they would be reconfigurable, and not carry all the equipment all of the time. In reality this would provide more assets for Ops/Exercises, it might be that you have to accept short periods when no large platform is available.

I think the A330 way too large and the point about true widebody is virtually irrelivant for a non cargo role a/c. Personally, although a new build airliner type would be the gold plated solution what are the chances of it happening?

I don't think 4 engines is as much of a issue as it used to be, the USN seem happy enough to go for the P-8 for extended patrol. A B737 size a/c is probably good enough, the P-8 airframe would fit the bill as it is "miltaryised" including protection, armour and DAS, increased AUW, EPM hardened?, bombbay, wing hard points for extra pods, sensors, etc. and I think it can provide more electrical power, the P-8A equipment is not required, it is a shame the Airbus equivilant is still a drawing. Unfortunatly I think it will be considered over engineered for the role and mission profile and they will end up essentially flying a civilian airframe in hostile conditions

I've looked round a couple of RC-135 variants and one definitly had a cargo door, although it is desirable it is not essential, although it might be useful for self deployment as well as re- roleing or mods.

Finally, I'm glad no one has mentioned using a few MRA4 airframes as that would only solve a few issues, most the space issues etc. would remain. It would provide some airframe commonality but I can't see it being anywhere near a cheap to operate as a modern airliner type and again it is possibly over engineered.

I'm going to bow out of the hypothetical debate now before I either breach the OSA or bore you fine chaps (or chapesses) as I am starting to repeat myself Those who really know what is needed can't comment and I can't explain my rational on here, apart from that I am mostly guessing