Old 21st Jan 2008, 15:45
Duckandcover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watching the discussion..

Laptops lost by MOD personnel:

2007: 68
2006: 66
2005: 40
2004: 173 (I am guessing this reflects the early days of extra stupidity)

Of this number, 2 more held recruitment data, one RN laptop stolen in October 2006 (I missed the number of records if it was announced) and 500 records on a laptop stolen from an Army "officer" in December 2005. Apparently it was believed these laptops were encrypted.

I know of one with Tornado data lost by a consultant from Wyton. Documents relating to this theft were reported in local media. One assumes that the figures included that one and that private companies do not hold this data also (CAPITA manage some aspects of Police recruitment?)

Des says he does not believe the problem (of unencrypted data of this type) extends any further than the handling of this particular database, which is managed by Army Training & Recruitment on behalf of all the services.

Liam Fox says this is worse than the Benefit case because it was definately stolen. He also asked whether the laptop concerned was an MOD or personal laptop due to the lack of encryption.

300 laptops have been recalled as part of this enquiry.

The laptop concerned had records dating back to 1997. Of the 600,000, 153,000 records held passport, national insurance, doctors details, religious beliefs, dates of birth and 3,700 included bank details.

Letters were sent to the 3,700. Further letters will be sent to the 153,000. Helpline and email contact established.

Sir Edmund Burton appointed to review. This outside of Police and MOD investigations.

Discussion ongoing.

Last edited by Duckandcover; 21st Jan 2008 at 16:21.